There is a large number of sports that involve water. The following is a List of water sports, divided by category. These categories are based on the relation of the sports to the water. Some of the sports include only one part related to swimming, as for example Triathlon.
In the water
Swimming includes pool swimming and open water swimming Triathlon is usually a combination of swimming, cycling and running
Modern pentathlon includes épée fencing, pistol shooting, swimming, a show jumping course on horseback, and cross country running Rescue swimming is swimming with the goal to rescue other swimmers or the practice thereof
Water polo is a team sport played in water.
Synchronized swimming is a hybrid of swimming, gymnastics, and ballet.
Water aerobics is aerobics in the water.
Water gymnastics is gymnastics in the water.
Snorkeling is the practice of swimming at the surface (typically of the sea) being equipped with a mask and a short tube called a snorkel.
- Diving off springboards or off platforms.
- Synchronized diving.
- Waboba is played with a waboba ball on beaches or in pools.
- Lunge Board you lunge as you wake board.
- Synchronized swimming is a hybrid of swimming, gymnastics, and ballet.
- Scuba diving is swimming under water using a (self contained) breathing apparatus.
- Free-diving is the aim to maximize the depth dived using no breathing apparatus.
- Underwater hockey is hockey played under water with short wooden curved sticks and a heavy puck.Players wear diving masks, snorkels, and fins, and must surface to breathe while team mates continue the game on the pool bottom.
- Underwater rugby is rugby played under water. Two teams try to score goals by sending a slightly negatively buoyant ball into the opponents’ goal, which is situated on the bottom of the pool.
- Underwater photography, including underwater videography, is photography done under water. Numerous contests worldwide are arranged every year. Digital cameras have revolutionized how many divers participate.
On the water
- Skurfing is where the participant “skurfs” behind a boat on a surfboard.
- Barefoot water skiing is waterskiing with no skiis.
- Boating is the use of boats.
- Bodyboarding is similar to surfing, but the board is smaller and the person (normally) lies down on the board.
- Fishing is the recreation and sport of catching fish.
- Jet Ski.
- Kite surfing on flat water using a kite for propulsion.
- Parasailing where a person is towed behind a vehicle (usually a boat) while attached to a parachute.
- Sailing using the wind for propulsion.
- Sit-down hydrofoiling is riding on the water with a hydrofoil attached to a ski
- Skimboarding is a boardsport in which a board is used to ride on an incoming wave.
- Surfing downhill on ocean waves or artificial waves in an artificial wave pool.
- White Water Rafting.
- Wakeboarding is similar to water skiing, but using only one board attached to the feet.
- Wake skating is similar to wakeboarding, but the board is not attached to the feet.
- Wakesurfing is a mix between wakeboarding and surfing.
- Water skiing is using skis to slide over the water while being pulled by a boat or other device.
- Windsurfing on flat water using wind for propulsion in combination with sails.
- Yachting sailing on yachts, daysailing, cruising or Yacht racing.
Reference: Wikipedia 2014_Asian_Games